Dirty Air Ducts Aren’t Just Harmful to Your Health
They Can Damage Your HVAC System—and Budget, Too
Because they’re tucked away in your walls and your floors, it’s easy to forget about your air ducts. At Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric, we’re all too familiar with the problems that can occur when air ducts are ignored. Air ducts play an essential role in your indoor air quality and your health. But did you know they’re also important when it comes to keeping your HVAC system operating smoothly and efficiently?
That’s right. When air ducts are clogged with dust and dirt and not properly maintained, your furnace and air conditioner work harder, putting more stress on your HVAC system, causing unexpected issues, resulting in more repairs, and ultimately, making it more expensive to heat and cool your home. At Blanton’s, we’re proud of our reputation as the most efficient HVAC, electrical and plumbing contractor in Pinehurst, NC, and throughout the Raleigh, NC, area.
Start the new year by taking a few simple steps to keep your air ducts in tip-top shape and your heating and cooling costs low.
It’s as easy as:
- Dust-Free Air Ducts: When dust builds up quickly in your home, it’s a sure sign that your ducts are in need of a little TLC. Excess dust can restrict airflow, damage your fan blades and impact your health. This is why it’s important to clean out the dust clogging your system. An annual duct inspection helps to make sure your furnace isn’t working harder than it needs to, which can save you money—and help you breathe easier!
- Routine Inspection: Air ducts can wear out. They can develop cracks from cold weather or gaps between the duct connections. Leaky air ducts will often leave a section of the house feeling colder or hotter than the rest, depending on the season. Leaky air ducts can also pick up more dust and pollen from outside. Air ducts should be checked annually for damage. If you haven’t had your ducts inspected recently, add it to your list of resolutions. Blanton’s duct inspections ensure your ducts are in optimal working shape.
- Clear Airways: Nothing impacts an air duct’s ability to do its job faster than a blocked vent. From couches to dressers to bookcases, you might think your furniture has nowhere to go but along the wall where it will cover the air vent. This is a sure way to disrupt the flow of air from the ducts, leading to hot and cold spots throughout the house, causing drafts and putting more strain on the HVAC system as it tries to compensate for poor airflow.
- An Improved Design: If your newly renovated room or addition feels drafty and cold, this could be because the original duct layout isn’t doing the job for the new room. Similar issues may be common in older homes with outdated HVAC designs. Blanton’s provides a thorough assessment of your home, designing ductwork that lowers your heating and cooling costs. Often, a few simple changes in the placement of vents can drastically improve your home’s comfort.
- Last But Not Least: Don’t forget about your air filter! Air filters should be replaced every three months (more frequently if you have pets or a particularly dusty home). Air filters are the gatekeepers that keep your furnace and your air ducts clean. When replacing an air filter, it’s helpful to write down the month on the new one, making it easier to remember when it needs to be replaced!
Start Your New Year Strong With Blanton’s
At Blanton’s, “good enough” is never good enough. Whether you need our insured technicians for electrical upgrades in Raleigh, NC, our experienced plumbing contractors for drainage work in Pinehurst, NC, or our friendly HVAC experts for heating repairs in Fayetteville, NC, our goal is to “wow” you—every time.
To schedule an appointment, call Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric at 910-722-4052 or contact us online today.