When you have UV lights in your home’s heating and cooling system, your indoor air will be cleaner and your family may suffer fewer outbreaks of contagious diseases. UV rays have natural disinfectant qualities, and any kind of organic airborne substance that comes into contact with these rays loses the ability to reproduce and dies quickly. These lights are in use in many institutions, including hospitals, schools, airports, malls and large commercial structures.
Besides bacteria and viruses, these lights kill mold and mildew spores, and in a climate like Fayetteville’s, that’s important for the health of your home and family. Mold and mildew can form in the drain pan of your air conditioner in the summer, cause damage to your home, and make you sick. Mold and mildew spores occur naturally in the air and thrive in humid places. While you may have to manage mold in damp places like your bathrooms, basement or kitchen, lowering the population of live spores can reduce the severity in your home.
When UV lights are part of your HVAC system, they are out of the way, an important benefit because UV rays are harmful to your eyes. The lights can be installed into your system’s furnace blower or inside the ductwork. Even though the fan doesn’t run continuously, your home’s air still circulates through the ducts. The lights are low wattage and cost little to operate annually.
Using UV lights is a simpler solution to improving indoor air quality than using household cleaners that leave chemical residues behind. If you would like to learn more about these lights for your HVAC system, and how they can keep your home cleaner and your family healthier, please contact Blanton’s Heating & A/C.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about UV lights and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.