Sooner or later, every homeowner has to face the repair-or-replace dilemma in regards to HVAC equipment. On the one hand, it costs less to repair a faulty or broken-down furnace or air conditioner. On the other hand, it might not make sense to sink any more money into HVAC equipment that will need to be replaced in the near future anyway. You might also be able to convert older, less efficient furnaces and air conditioners into new, more efficient models to enjoy immediate savings on your utility costs.
When you’re dealing with the repair or replace question, use these tips to help guide your decision:
It’s generally better to replace your system if:
- Your furnace or air conditioner is more than 10 years old.
- Your utility bills have been rising, even though you haven’t increased the frequency with which you use your furnace or air conditioner.
- You’ve had to repair your furnace or air conditioner on multiple occasions in recent years.
- Certain areas or rooms in your home don’t heat or cool properly, no matter what you try.
- You have an aging furnace or air conditioner which you have not serviced with annual preventive maintenance.
Repairing your system might make more sense if:
- Your furnace or air conditioner is relatively new or still under warranty.
- You have not experienced ongoing problems with it, and your utility costs have been holding steady.
At Blanton’s Heating & A/C, we’re happy to offer you any advice you may need if you’re facing a repair or replace dilemma. If you decide to repair your system, our skilled and courteous technicians will have your furnace or air conditioner running strong again in no time. Should you opt to replace your equipment, we offer a wide range of affordable and energy-efficient home heating and cooling technologies. To learn more, or to schedule service, please contact us today.