Call Today to Schedule Your Service 910-249-4898

Keep Your Fayetteville Home, Your Family, Even Your Garage Safe from Carbon Monoxide

If you have an attached garage, you need to be aware of potential dangers associated with it. One of the most serious dangers is carbon monoxide (CO). This gas is released during the operation of cars, garden equipment, generators and other fuel- or wood-burning devices.

Because a wall separates the garage from your home, you may think you’re safe from fumes or gases from your car or other equipment. In many cases, this is not so. Carbon monoxide may leak from the garage into your home and build to dangerous, potentially fatal levels.

Protect your family from this odorless, colorless gas with a few helpful tips from eastern North Carolina’s most trusted heating and cooling service provider.

Install a carbon monoxide (CO) detector.

You cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide. The best way to check levels of the gas in your home is to purchase a detector. Ideally, you should have electrically powered detectors as well as battery detectors in case the power goes out. Place one CO detector in a room close to the garage. Place additional detectors near or in your bedroom and on each floor of the house, including in the basement if that’s where your water heater and furnace are situated. Place each detector low, as the gas is heavier than air and will sink.

Have the garage properly sealed and ventilated.

Protect your home’s indoor air quality from garage fumes. Have your ductwork checked, and make sure the door and wall between the garage and house is properly sealed. The garage may also require additional ventilation.

Avoid CO buildup in the garage.

On a chilly morning, it can be tempting to let the car warm up in the garage before you drive away. Avoid doing this, even if you’ve opened the garage door. Toxic fumes will build up much more quickly than you realize.

Never run a generator indoors or in a closed garage.

Make sure the generator is in a well-ventilated area. The same principle applies to wood-burning stoves, gas heaters and gas-powered lawn tools.

For additional support, and with any questions about carbon monoxide in your Fayetteville home:

Contact the experts at Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric. We’ve proudly served homeowners throughout the Fayetteville area since 1951, and have long since made it our goal to help educate our customers in Fayetteville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).