For many, cleaning during the spring is tradition. Maybe it’s the warmer weather or the longer days, but in the springtime many homeowners suddenly get the urge to accomplish cleaning chores that were forgotten over the cold and dark winter months. While washing the curtains and vacuuming behind the couch is important, you should also remember that your HVAC system requires spring cleaning and maintenance as well. The following steps won’t take much time but they should be completed as part of your spring cleaning this year:
- Your HVAC system should be fully inspected before the start of each new season.
- Inspect and replace your HVAC filters every single month.
- Inspect the drainage hole of your air conditioning system. This is typically located on the base of the cabinet beneath the evaporator fins. Every spring, use a paper clip or small wire to poke through the hole to clear it out.
- Inspect the evaporator coil on your HVAC system. It should function properly and be free from dirt, dust and other debris. If necessary, clean or replace it.
- Check that your thermostat is working properly.
- If you live in an area where the climate is mild and you did not need to run your heater during the winter, in the springtime turn your air conditioning system on full blast. Any dirt that was caught in the ducts will be blown out of the vents. It might be helpful to stick your vacuum’s hose down the vents to catch any dirt.
While you are performing your HVAC spring cleaning you might discover that your air conditioning system is in need of repair. This is an extremely common occurrence since the air conditioning system has not been in use all winter. A qualified HVAC contractor can help you determine whether you will need to repair or replace your air conditioning unit. If you find that it is a very close call between the two choices then it might be a better idea to replace the unit before you really need to use it during the summer. A new air conditioning unit will come with a warranty which can be extremely useful if you have any problems in the future.
Blanton’s Heating and Air offers high quality HVAC services to the residents of Fayetteville, NC. For information on how they can assist you with your HVAC spring cleaning, please contact them today.