When you live in an area where temperatures drop to the 30s or below, it is extremely important that your home is properly prepared for the winter. Winterization helps to keep you warmer, saves you energy and money and helps your home stay in good condition throughout the colder months. If your home wasn’t properly prepared before the cold weather set it, then you probably realize just how important it is to prepare your home before next winter. Preparing your home for winter isn’t all that difficult and can typically be done without the help of a professional. Let’s discuss how:
Preparing the Outside of your Home for Winter
- Start by inspecting the exterior of your home for any cracks as well as areas around pipes that might be exposed. Seal all cracks and around pipes.
- To prevent cold air from entering the home, weather-strip the areas around any doors and caulk the windows.
- Inspect the roof of your home including any gutters and downspouts. Roof tiles and shingles that are worn should be replaced, and gutters and downspouts should be cleared of debris before winter.
Preparing the Inside of your Home for Winter
- Cover windows with insulated curtains to conserve energy. A thermal liner can also be used with the existing curtains. If there are windows in your basement, be sure to cover the wells with plastic shields.
- Have your HVAC system serviced before winter to ensure that it will work efficiently when you need it most. Continue to check and change the filters as necessary.
- Inspect the damper on your chimney to ensure that it opens and closes properly. If it does not, contact a licensed professional for assistance.
- Insulate all exposed plumbing pipes.
- Insulate the water heater in your home with an insulation blanket to improve its efficiency during the winter. Some manufacturers do not allow insulation blankets to be used however, so make sure to check that an insulation blanket can be used safely with your specific type of water heater. For assistance, contact a licensed professional.
There are many things that can be done to prepare your home for winter. However, a good quality HVAC system that is properly maintained is your best bet for staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Blanton’s Heating and Air can help you stay comfortable in your home all year round. Please contact us today for more information.