A/C Operating Tips That Get Results: A How-To Guide For Lowering Energy Consumption
As summer temperatures in Fayetteville rise, so do your electric bills. In many homes, air conditioning uses more energy than virtually any other appliance. But there’s no need to pay more than necessary for summer comfort. Try these A/C operating tips this summer, and compare your electric bill to last season’s. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- Set your thermostat higher. Most people are perfectly comfortable at 78 degrees, especially if indoor humidity levels are kept low. Plus, the savings you’ll realize are significant — often up to five percent per degree.
- Take advantage of natural cooling. At night and whenever the outdoor temperature drops below your thermostat settings, open your windows and let Mother Nature foot your cooling bill. This works especially well in spring and fall when daily temperatures fluctuate widely.
- Enjoy your outdoor grill. Grilling is tasty and fun, but an added benefit is that it keeps all that cooking heat out of your home.
- Close your curtains. Believe it or not, this simple action can save you up to 20 percent on your cooling costs. In the summer, pay special attention to your east windows in the morning and your west windows in the afternoon.
- Weatherstrip and air seal your home. Air leaks in your home’s outer envelope can cost you up to 25 percent more on your energy bills. Sealing these leaks will also keep the humidity out, which will enable you to set your thermostat higher and still be comfortable.
- Keep your HVAC system in tip-top shape. Your equipment is only as good as the condition it’s in. Be sure the coils of your A/C unit are clean, change your filter regularly and keep your blower in good working order.
We hope you’ll try these energy saving A/C operating tips in your home. For more expert home heating and air conditioning advice, or to schedule service, contact us at Blanton’s Heating & A/C today!