Plans For A Two-Story Addition Should Include An HVAC Upgrade
Plans for a two-story addition include developing a detailed building design, choosing energy-efficient or green building materials and making decorating decisions. No remodeling plans are complete, however, without considering the HVAC system. Depending on your home’s heating and cooling load and the needs of the two-story addition, it may be best to extend the existing heating and cooling equipment, purchase an HVAC upgrade or install a separate and smaller system for the addition only. Here are the pros and cons of each option.
Extending your present system involves the following steps:
- Calculating the heating and cooling load of the home, including the existing space and the addition, to determine if your HVAC system can accommodate both the present and the new square footage.
- Extending the ductwork if the HVAC system’s capacity meets the load requirements.
- Choosing this option only if your present HVAC system performs well. If it’s not efficient, you won’t gain much from using it to heat and cool the addition.
Installing an HVAC upgrade for the entire home requires that you:
- Use the load calculation to determine the right-sized system to heat and cool the entire home, including the addition.
- Choose a high-performing HVAC upgrade to ensure optimal return on investment through increased monthly energy savings and peak home comfort.
- Don’t forget to include the costs associated with retrofitting your ductwork, including labor and materials.
Choosing to install a system dedicated to the new addition only involves:
- Selecting a smaller-sized and lower-cost, HVAC system to heat and cool the addition, which may be the most cost-effective option.
- Considering a ductless mini-split, which consists of air handlers in each room of the new space connected to a single outdoor unit via a conduit. This system doesn’t require ducts and gives you zoned control of the addition.
To learn the best HVAC upgrade option for your remodeling plans, contact Blanton’s Heating & A/C. We serve homeowners in the greater Fayetteville area.