Choosing the Right AC Unit for Your Home
An air conditioning system can significantly improve the overall comfort of your home this summer. However, it is extremely important that you choose the right size air conditioning system. Choosing an air conditioning system that is too large for your home will use up more electricity and create an excessive amount of humidity, while an air conditioning system that is too small will not be able to effectively cool your home. Choosing an air conditioning system that is the right size for your home ensures that the system will run efficiently and effectively and keep your home cool and comfortable.
Figuring out the right size air conditioning system for your home only takes a few minutes and some basic math.
- Start by measuring the square footage of the room that you wish to cool. Measure and record both the length and the width of the room.
- Multiply the length by the width in order to determine the square footage of the room.
- If you will be purchasing a central air conditioning system then you will need to determine the square footage of every room in your home. You don’t need to measure areas that won’t be cooled, such as the basement or garage.
- Next you will need to determine the cooling capacity necessary for each room in your home. Cooling capacity is measured in British Thermal Units or BTUs per hour. Recommended BTUs per square footage are available on the United States Department of Energy, Energy Star website.
- If your home is shaded then you will want to reduce the BTU capacity by ten percent.
- If your home receives full sun then you will want to increase the BTU capacity by ten percent.
- If more than two people occupy one room then you will want to add 600 BTU per person.
- For the kitchen you will need to add 4,000 BTUs to the necessary capacity.
Figuring out the right size air conditioning system can be confusing. Blanton’s Heating and Air can help you choose the perfect air conditioning system for your home. Blanton’s specializes in the installation and maintenance of high efficiency HVAC equipment. These innovative systems provide optimal comfort while saving you money on your energy bills.
Blanton’s Heating and Air provides high quality HVAC services to residents of the Fayetteville, NC area. For more information on how they can help you select the right air conditioning system for your home or business please contact them today.