For A Minimal Investment, Sealing Ductwork Greatly Improves Energy Costs
The typical home loses about 20 percent of heating and cooling air through leaky ducts. Sealing ductwork may be low-cost, high-return investment that will keep you more comfortable in all seasons and make your home more energy efficient.
Signs of leaky ducts
If you experience any of the signs below, take appropriate action to increase airflow and reduce leaks.
- High utility bills in summer and winter
- Rooms that are difficult to keep warm or cool
- Stuffy rooms
- Ducts are located in the basement, attic garage or crawlspace
You probably won’t be able to get to ducts that are concealed behind walls or ceilings, but you can improve your duct system’s performance by sealing the accessible ducts in your home.
- Seal duct joints and any cracks or holes with mastic sealant or metal tape. Don’t use duct tape, as it deteriorates quickly.
- Insulate accessible ducts with duct insulation with an R-value of 6 or more.
- Seal the ducts tightly to the registers in your home with mastic or metal tape.
- If you have flexible ducts, straighten any kinks to improve airflow.
Call an HVAC pro
If you would rather leave your duct sealing to a professional, your contractor will conduct a series of tests and take the necessary steps to ensure your ducts are in top working order:
- Inspect the whole duct system
- Check to ensure a proper balance between air flow and air return
- Repair disconnected joints and damaged areas of the ducts
- Seal connections and leaks with mastic sealant and metal tape
- Ensure a tight seal between ducts and registers
- Insulate ducts in areas that aren’t heated or cooled
- Evaluate your home’s air flow and check your heating system’s combustion to ensure safe, energy efficient operation after repairing, sealing and insulating the ducts
For more professional advice about sealing your ducts and other ways to improve energy efficiency in your home, or to schedule an appointment with one of our HVAC professionals, please feel free to contact Blanton’s Heating & A/C.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Fayetteville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).