With no “check engine” lights or alert systems, sometimes it can be hard to know when your heating and air conditioning systems need replacing. There are ways, however, to figure out if there are problems with your HVAC system, or if a completely new system is what you need.
Three simple signs can give you the first indications that you might need a new system:
- If your HVAC system makes more noise than usual, that could mean parts of the unit are wearing out or broken, and a professional should check your system to see if replacement is needed.
- Excess dust could mean your filtration system is malfunctioning, or the filter is clogged, reducing the efficiency of your unit.
- If humidity in your home becomes an issue, it could mean you have leaks in your ductwork or malfunctioning equipment.
Another major consideration is the age of your current HVAC system. According to the United States Department of Energy, if your air conditioner or heat pump is more than 10 years old, or if your boiler or furnace is over 15 years of age, replacements should be considered. Other ways you can tell that you might need a new system include:
- Rising energy bills
- The need for more and more repairs
- Rooms in your house become too hot or too cold
- The lack of a programmable thermostat
When one or more of these things start to happen with your system, you should look into an upgrade, preferably one that is endorsed by the federal Energy Star program, and designed to increase the efficiency of your energy usage.
For more information on HVAC systems, contact Blanton’s Heating & A/C. We’ve been serving Fayetteville and the surrounding areas since 1951.