About 200 people in the US are killed each year by accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. One of the leading causes of CO poisoning is natural gas, a fuel commonly used to heat water, cook food and warm the interior of American homes. If there is a leak, dangerous carbon monoxide gas can enter the air you breathe. It’s also important to become familiar with natural gas safety tips because the right combination of natural gas and oxygen can be ignited if a spark is introduced.
Because natural gas is colorless, odorless and difficult to detect, many utility companies add a chemical to the gas that makes it smell like rotten eggs. This makes it easier to detect a leak. The potential dangers of carbon monoxide make it clear that natural gas safety is an important topic. Here are some natural gas safety tips for eliminating potential safety hazards.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home. For adequate natural gas safety while sleeping, be sure to install CO detectors close to bedrooms.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for adequate clearance around combustion appliances.
- Store paints, aerosols, loose papers and other flammable objects away from gas-burning appliances.
- Have a technician inspect the pipes, flues and vent hood for cracks or corrosion. Repair any issues as soon as possible.
- Keep children and pets away from meters, pipes, transformers and other utility equipment.
- Prevent ice and snow from accumulating on your meter in the winter.
- Avoid stacking boxes, clothes or other objects at the base of a gas appliance for adequate natural gas safety.
- When cooking on a gas stove, roll up long sleeves and keep towels or potholders far from the open flame.
- Never attempt to heat a room with the flame from a gas oven or stove top.
- Keep transformers and meters clear and accessible so a technician can find them and work quickly in case of an emergency.
- Leave your electric and gas meters alone. It’s dangerous and illegal to tamper with them.
To learn more about natural gas safety, please contact Blanton’s Heating & A/Cin Fayetteville today.