And to All a Good Night-Electrical Safety for the Holidays
Plug It All Together for a Safe Season
The holidays are a very special time of year. People are merrier, families come together and homes look better than ever! When you choose Blanton’s for heating services in Aberdeen, NC, your home is comfier, too.
It’s important to ensure your home is as safe as it is festive. Before starting to purchase decorations and make your home picture-perfect for the holidays, take a moment to familiarize yourself with these electrical safety tips.
Check the List Twice
Staying smart with your home’s electrical system can be the difference between a happy holiday season and a horrible one.
Here are some things you can do now to prepare for a safe upcoming season:
- Inspect your holiday lights. Don’t assume lights are safe just because they work. Make sure there are no cracked cords, damaged sockets, and loose wires before using them. If you find any damaged strands, be sure to replace them.
- Use outlets wisely. Before plugging in your appliances and decorations, consider how much power each one is using. Appliances using a lot of electricity should have their own dedicated outlet. Spread your holiday lights across various outlets to avoid overloading.
- Be picky with the tree. Choosing the right Christmas tree is key. Before purchasing one, make sure the needles look green and fresh. A dry tree can easily catch fire. Keep the tree at least 3 feet from outlets and other heat sources, and water it daily to keep it fresh.
- Before you get some shut-eye, shut off the lights. Having your holiday lights on all night is a nice thought, but, in reality, it’s never a good idea. Prevent unnecessary risk by turning off the lights before you go to bed.
- Use battery-operated candles. According to the National Fire Protection Association, more than half of home decoration fires are started by traditional candles. Opt for battery-operated candles instead.
- Check decorations for certification label. Decorations should feature a label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriting Laboratories (UL) or the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). Check to make sure your decorations have a certification label and only purchase products from reputable retailers. Also, make sure that any extension cords and decorations used outdoors are marked as such.
- The kitchen is the place to be when you are cooking. As you’re cooking, it’s easy to jump from the kitchen to the laundry room and everywhere else in between. But it doesn’t take long for a problem in the kitchen to become serious—especially if you’re not there to fix it. Remain in the kitchen until you’re done cooking to prevent fires.
- Don’t connect too many lights together. Incandescent lights use much more power than LED lights. For this reason, you shouldn’t connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together. Before you set up the holiday lights—whether you use LED or incandescent bulbs—check the instructions on the package to see how many strands can be connected.
Amp Up Your Electrical Safety With Blanton’s
Have you recently purchased a home recently and don’t know where your electricity stands? Is your electrical system old and outdated? No matter what the predicament may be, Blanton’s is here to help with our electrical services, including emergency service. As your one-stop solution for complete home comfort, we also offer plumbing and heating, and cooling repairs in Aberdeen, NC, and throughout our service area.
Schedule an appointment online to service your electricity with Blanton’s. To connect with a representative, call Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric at (910) 822-2866 or contact us online today.