Electrical Safety Tips for Summer
Take Charge With These Best Practices
Summer is a time to let loose and have fun. After all, who can resist a hot sunny day lounging by the pool?
But as the season kicks off, it’s important to be smart with your electrical system. Why? Because summer is when people spend the most time outdoors. This means more time spent around water and your outdoor electrical equipment. And without proper safety measures, mixing the two can be very dangerous!
At Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric, we know that nothing matters more than safety. That’s why when we’re not helping our clients with professional air conditioning installation in Aberdeen, NC, we’re repairing and protecting their electric.
Want to amp up your electrical safety? Check out these helpful safety tips to stay safe and have a carefree, enjoyable summer.
The Electrical Do’s and Don’ts
- Keep all electrical toys and appliances away from water. Don’t create an unsafe situation!
- Ensure that all electrical connections to pools and tubs are grounded. Connections that aren’t grounded can lead to electrical shock. Contact us to have one of our electricians make sure these connections are properly grounded.
- Have ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets installed for any outlets near water. These highly sensitive outlets quickly detect changes in electrical current. They will trip and disrupt the power, potentially saving you from electrical shock. If your home doesn’t have outdoor GFCI outlets, our electricians can install them for you.
- Know where your circuit breakers are. You never know when an emergency may arise and you need to shut off the power.
- Use battery-operated electrical devices outside whenever possible.
- Have your outdoor electrical equipment inspected annually by a professional.
- Go near a power line. Always assume that every power line is live and dangerous to approach.
- Allow children to climb trees near power lines. If the branch makes contact with the power line, this can be dangerous for anyone touching the tree.
- Touch an electrical toy or appliance when you are wet.
- Swim during a thunderstorm. Water and electricity never mix!
- Use indoor extension cords outdoors.
We’ve Got the Electrical Part Covered
Not sure if your electrical panel is outdated? Or do you want LED lighting installed for those backyard barbecues? Say no more!
Here are just some of the ways we can help you with your electric:
- Electrical inspections
- Electrical repairs
- Electrical panel upgrades
- GFCI installations & repairs
- Outlet repairs
- Indoor & outdoor lighting
- …And more!
Make It a Safe Summer With Blanton’s
When it comes to your electric, a little knowledge goes a long way. Taking these proactive steps can make all the difference in keeping everyone safe. And when you’re not sure where your electric stands or how to improve it, our licensed electricians are here to help. From electrical services to heating and cooling repairs in Aberdeen, NC, we do it all—and we do it right.
To schedule electrical, HVAC or plumbing service for your Fayetteville or Raleigh-area home or business this summer, call Blanton’s at (910) 822-2866 today.