Improve Indoor Air Quality Before the Holidays
A Gift Today, Tomorrow and Every Day
The decorations are hung, the food is prepared and the house is spotless as far as the eye can see. But what about everything you can’t see?
It’s easy to forget about indoor air quality when there are gifts to wrap, cookies to bake…who has time to worry about air quality?
At Blanton’s, we know indoor air affects everyone differently. While you might not experience any symptoms from polluted indoor air—your guests just might. The absence of symptoms doesn’t necessarily mean polluted air isn’t affecting your long-term health. Poor air quality takes a toll on your HVAC equipment and can lead to more heating and cooling repairs in Pinehurst, NC.
Having an indoor quality test performed before this Holiday Season will ensure everyone’s comfort and health—including your own. Follow these DIY steps to improve your home’s air quality for the holidays.
Be Sure to…
- Keep shoes at the door. Dust, debris and other pollutants can latch onto the bottom of your shoes. Rather than trek contaminants through the house, leave your shoes at the front door and politely ask guests to do the same.
- Dust your home beforehand. The holidays create a frenzy of indoor activity that can lead to airborne dust—especially if your home isn’t clean. Give your home a good dusting before guests arrive so they can breathe easier and be comfortable.
- Grab the vacuum cleaner. Pollen and dust mites settle deep into carpets. Use a high-quality vacuum cleaner to remove what you can’t see. Also, be sure to vacuum drapes, upholstered furniture and other hard-to-reach places where pollutants dwell.
- Replace the air filter regularly. Over time, dust and debris collect in your furnace’s air filter. Failing to clean or change the filter regularly will result in poor system performance and polluted air. Replace or clean the filter monthly to eliminate debris. It’s very easy to do—and can make all the difference in your IAQ.
- Let fresh air in. We seal ourselves in during the cold months in an attempt to stay warm. But all this hibernation can take a toll on the air we breathe. Open the windows every now and then to welcome the fresh air. It’s better to circulate some outdoor air into your home than to let all those pollutants build up indoors.
- Use natural cleaners. Conventional cleaners often contain harmful chemicals. While your furniture might look cleaner, you’re also welcoming more toxins into your home. Whenever possible, use natural, fragrance-free cleaners to minimize toxins.
- Avoid scented candles. While “Pine Cone” and “Evergreen” sound great as candle scents, they aren’t so great for your air quality. As traditional candles burn, they release soot and other toxins into the air. Beeswax candles are a good alternative because they produce negative ions in the air and remove toxins. They also last longer than traditional candles.
- Purchase plants that absorb toxins. Did you know certain plants can actually absorb toxins in the air? Gerbera daisies and chrysanthemums are two prime examples. Check out this article from HGTV to learn more about plants and their air-cleaning effects.
- Be considerate with pets. As much as you love your pets, it’s important to be considerate of your guests. Keep pets isolated for the day if any visitors are allergic or uncomfortable.
- Have your furnace inspected. Your furnace can be your friend or your foe, depending on how you take care of it. Annual furnace maintenance eliminates all the dust and debris that can cause allergies. On the flip side, a neglected furnace with poor filtration will disperse polluted air throughout your home every time it’s in use. During a maintenance inspection, our experts will clean your system’s components to ensure your furnace circulates healthy, unpolluted air throughout your home.
- Consider an air filtration device. If your winter allergies are in full swing, you might want to consider some additional help. At Blanton’s, we carry superior air filtration products that eliminate pollutants like nothing else. Our IAQ experts will be happy to test your air, gather a full understanding of your needs and recommend the perfect solution for your home.
Breathe Better, Live Happier With Blanton’s
Indoor air quality affects more than just today. It also affects your family’s health tomorrow and every day moving forward. At Blanton’s, we’ve spent years helping homeowners diagnose and treat the air in their homes to promote a healthier lifestyle—we’re ready to do the same for you.
To schedule an indoor air quality test or request heating services in Aberdeen,NC, or elsewhere in our service area, call Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric at (910) 822-2866 or contact us online today.